Oceans are vital for the worlds survival. They hold 97% of the planets water. They produce more than half of the oxygen in the atmosphere and absorb most carbon from it. Only 2.8% of the world ocean is protected, and much less than 1% is in marine reserves.
|Big world, little squid...|
We impact the oceans in a crazy number of ways. We take food, minerals, sand and more in huge quantities while pouring in waste and toxins.
There is a huge amount of progress to be made in marine protection.
Obviously I am a big supporter of the ocean, I live and work in it every day. I can't imagine a world without any life in the water, or no colour. I don't even want to.
|Pillar Coral, Jamaica|
|Curious porcupine fish|
- Don't use sunscreen containing Oxybenzone, switch to Zinc Oxide based
- Make sustainable seafood choices....did you know Grouper start to reproduce after about 20 yrs!
- Minimise use of plastics ie. plastic bags, drinking bottles, take out containers
- Don't purchase items or support things that exploit marine life (biggest pet peeve in Mexico is the number of places you can swim with Dolphins)
- Support organisations who are working to protect the ocean
- Spread the word!!
For more information you can visit National Geographic, IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) or the Protect Planet Ocean initiative (www.protectplanetocean.org).